As I made my way around the church Wednesday night, meeting people, answering questions, directing traffic, and hugging necks, I was blessed by the sounds I heard all around me. I could hear the sound of babies in the nursery, the sound of children worshipping, and the sound of teenagers gathered in small groups asking hard questions in their search to understand more about God.
Parents were coming and going, most of them on their way to Lifegroup. Doors were opening and closing. Heals were clicking and clopping down the hallways. It was the sound of life, the sound of messes getting cleaned and problems being solved, and it was beautiful.
Right in the midst of it all, rising above the clamor, I could hear voices. I could hear the voices of those who had dedicated their night to teaching all of these young, hungry, noisy hearts about the love of Jesus. I could hear the voices of love, the voices of patience. I could hear the voices of those who spoke with a hope that their words would impact the lives they were speaking into.
My friends, the sounds of ministry occur because of the vision of those who willingly give their time and energy to love others. People just like you and me who have resolved to honor God by serving others.
October is Pastor Appreciation Month, and I encourage you to make sure you seize an opportunity to appreciate the people in your life who minister to you and your family. Make sure you don’t let the month go by without letting them know their loving actions make a difference.
Take the time to say “Thanks!” to each of the fabulous ministers in our church (Pastor Lolo, Pastor Loran, Mrs. Denise, and Pastor Mindy)– the people who lead the way in making the ministry of Emmanuel Fellowship Church so special!
- T – Take a moment to express your appreciation. Don’t let it be a passing remark. Pause, look them in the eye, and let them know you notice the work they do. Let them know how their service has impacted your family.
- H – Honor them with your words and actions. Do not allow the consistency of their service to be taken for granted. Consider the investment they have made to minister to you and your family and remember to treat them with a spirit of gratitude.
- A – Ask if they could use a hand. When you notice a need, be quick to meet it. Take a few extra seconds to make sure they have everything they need to love and serve your family in the best way possible. Take the initiative to serve those who serve you!
- N – Nudge your children to respect and help their teachers and pastors. A short conversation on the way to church and a positive handoff into the classroom can position your child to be a great influence.
- K – Keep your pastors in your prayers! Nothing is more important than a ministry team that is prayed for by their congregation.
- S – Send them a token of your appreciation. A card or a gift can be a powerful tool to refresh a heart. Your investment into them will, no doubt, yield a rich reward of continued ministry to your family.
Follow these links for more great resources for Pastor Appreciation Month:
- Pastor Appreciation information from Focus on the Family.
- An abundance of ideas from a Pastor Appreciation website.