We asked quite a few “why” questions yesterday as we contemplated the birth of our Savior. I hope and pray the message gave you some good thoughts to consider. The purpose and plan of God to offer His Son as a sacrifice for mankind demonstrates to us that Jesus truly is THE way to salvation, not simply a way to salvation.
Another “why” we encounter during the Christmas season is the question, “Why do we have a Santa Clause?”
It’s a very good question. Who is the big guy in the red velvet suit anyway? And does he prefer milk or Coca Cola with his cookies?
It is my humble opinion that Santa Clause never intended to hijack the meaning of Christmas. If anything, the meaning of Santa got hijacked somewhere along the way.
I invite you to read my historical fiction account of “A Christmas Without Options” and discover what history and tradition tell us about the real significance of that jolly old soul.
Click here to listen to Pastor Eric’s message “God’s Perfect Sacrifice.”
In yesterday’s message we listened to the song “Such a strange way to save the world” by 4 Him. Click the title for a reprise.
On the Radar – Church Holiday Schedule
I am looking forward to our children’s Christmas pageant next Sunday. They have been working very hard to present the beauty of the Christmas story to us. I love to catch the whispered hums of my little ones as they rehearse their songs throughout the day. We will also be distributing a Christmas gift to all of our congregation this Sunday—something the worship team has been hard at work on for a month now!
This is going to be a very special morning for us as a church family. I hope you will invite your family to experience this wonderful day with us. And, please be in prayer for Pastor Lolo as she works with the children to put the finishing touches on the pageant this week.
- Wednesday, December 16 – Hayride, Caroling, & Chiminea Christmas Party — Leave from the church at 6:30. Click here for more details.
- Saturday, December 19 – Ladies’ Cookie Swap & Ornament Exchange. Click for instructions.
- Sunday, December 20 – Children’s Christmas Pageant
- Wednesday, December 23 – No Church Activities
- Sunday, December 27 – Last Sunday of 2009
- Wednesday, December 30 – No Church Activities
- Thursday, December 31 – New Year’s Night of Worship — and talent show! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Revelation Bible study this Tuesday from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in my office. Everyone is welcome to join in, just bring your Bible and a lunch box. Keep up with the progress at The Watchman’s Gaze.
The Drum Circle will be getting back on rhythm in 2010. Drop me an email if you are interested in learning to play hand drums.
You Heard it at EFC
Been trying to remember one of those awesome songs we sang? Here is our worship list from yesterday, for those of you who just absolutely need a copy for yourself. You can usually find them for purchase on itunes.com.
- “O Come, Let Us Adore Him”
- “I’ve Found a Love” Bethel Live version
- “I Adore You” Jesus Culture version
- “How He Loves” Kim Walker version
Next Sunday, December 20, is the fourth and final Sunday of Advent. Come celebrate with us as our children lead us in their Christmas presentation!